>>> On 8/28/2009 at  4:06 PM, Tom Rae <tom_...@shaw.ca> wrote:
-snip-
> One of the customers that I support is using vCTCAs to connect multiple
> z/VSE and Linux guests to their z/VM TCP/IP and SNA SVMs. External
> connections are provided by QDIO and non-QDIO OSA-Express2 devices (both
> Gb and 1000Base-T) that are attached to the SVMs. We are looking at
> providing more efficient, direct network access to the guests by
> defining additional devices on the OSAs and attaching them directly to
> the guests.

Why not use a VSWITCH instead?  Far less systems programmer effort needed to
maintain, automatic failover is provided by the VSWITCH controller, you can do
Link Aggregation if needed, etc.

-snip-
> I have been unable to determine what, if any, addressing
> requirements and restrictions will apply to the additional OSA devices,
> other than that QDIO read/write devices and TCP/IP passthru devices must
> be sequential even/odd pairs

This is no longer true.  The only requirement is that the read/write devices
numbers have to be sequential.

> and that all of the new devices must be in
> the xx03-xxFD range.

I have never heard of this before.  Unless you're saying that 00-02 and 0FE-0FF
are already in use, but that would be specific to your situation, not a generic
requirement.

-snip-
> - Do the QDIO datapath devices have to have addresses that sequentially
> follow the corresponding QDIO read/write device addresses?

No.

> - If the QDIO datapath addresses do not have to sequentially follow the
> read/write device addresses, are there any other
> restrictions/requirements for QDIO datapath addressing?

Other than being on the same CHPID, no.

> - Do the non-QDIO SNA device addresses have to be even?

This one I can't answer.

Mark Post