If you override the console device on the SAPL screen at IPL time, it
overrides, as in negates, the lists in the SYSTEM CONFIG, both
Operator_Consoles and Emergency_Operator_Consoles. AFAIR, this is true whether
you have the CONS= parameter in the default or override SAPL parameters. If you
want the config file lists to remain active, you cannot use the SAPL to specify
the console address. At least, that is how it works in 5.3.

I hope that either 5.4 or the looming 6.1 corrects this design flaw. The one
specified should, IMHO, be inserted at the head of the lists, rather than
replacing them. The treatment of the IPL pack is a good example - it is
inserted as the first CP_Owned volume if it is not in the list.

Regards,
Richard Schuh