From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:43 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How to tell if a file has been modified

On Wednesday, 09/09/2009 at 04:57 EDT, "Frank M. Ramaekers"
<framaek...@ailife.com> wrote:
> I'm writing a preprocess for editing the directory.  I need to be able
> to tell if the directory was actually updated.  The information from
the
> PIPE STATE is not precise enough (down to the minute).   I can CRC the
> entire file before and after, but this seems a bit much.

Oh, dear.  :-)    There are few missing elements in your solution.

To know if a file has changed you must have linked MR to the disk.  Your

virtual machine has the One True file image and timestamp (which has
resolution of 1 second, btw).  If you try to run a CRC on a file of a
disk
that some other virtual machine can write on, you cannot trust what you
read.  The directory is, by definition, stale the moment you ACCESS the
disk, and any data blocks pointed to by your possibly-bogus directory
may
have been overwritten.  Bleh.

Note that I am excluding the possibility that you would ever link MW to
another CMS guest's minidisks.  (shudder)

This message contains information which is privileged and confidential and is
solely for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
review, disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at
privacy...@ailife.com.