On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Wakser, David wrote:

Adam:

        Please explain, for those of us not yet involved in Linux, why
it's not cost effective. For example, if we already have z/VM running,
there is no additional cost involved.

David Wakser

Maybe I'm undercaffeinated. Since it's in its own LPAR, you would have to pay standard-engine licensing fees, but if Linux is the only thing in that LPAR, then it doesn't matter. So never mind. I was thinking that CP-versus-IFL would mean that it would drive up your other software costs but as its own LPAR, I guess not.

The cost issue--and the reason to run specialty engines--is simply that you do not want to pay standard engine licenses for engines that are not running traditional IBM mainframe workloads.

Adam