You (or your managenment or your auditors) may want separate and
dedicated production and test environments, where the whole production
platform has to meet strict change control, security, or C&A standards.
When there are lots of hurdles to jump, political or otherwise, its
sometimes easier to just set up LPARs which are more widely understood,
and presumed to be more secure and isolating, than explain what a VM
hypervisor does under the covers.