On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 17:51, Martha McConaghy <u...@vm.marist.edu> wrote:
> Subject: Linux and VM SAN advice
>
> I've got several test Oracle servers running on SLES 10 and z/VM 5.4.0
> on our z9 using SAN disk space.  I set up the SAN connection using a
> FICON adapter and the EDEV support.  That is working OK, but I'm concerned
> about where to go from there.
   <snip>

> Is it worth moving to NPIV before hooking in our production server?  I know
> that it can provide better security for the connections.  Does it also help
> with performance?

Another reason to use NPIV now on your z9 is looking ahead to a future move to
a z10:

On z9 if you don't use EDEV or NPIV to control access to LUNs you'd use IBM's
LUN Access Control utility, but when you get to a z10 you'll find z10 doesn't
support LUN Access Control utility so you'd do without LUN Access Control or
have to migrate the guests to NPIV or EDEV.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.