Puzzled?
Is that the future for the mainframe ?

Sunny

From:   Wayne Smith <w...@maine.edu>
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Date:   01/04/2010 11:30 AM
Subject:        Moving on: The University of Maine (System) shuts down
mainframe
Sent by:        The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

Hi all,

It's been 7 years in the making, or tearing down.  We shutdown our
mainframe December 31.  We ran VM for an incredible 38.5 years and it was
a blast, especially at SHARE and the various incarnations of this group!

Gerry Dube has retired (mostly), though not before helping all Maine K-12
schools and libraries be very well connected to the internet.
Kerry Anderson leads our e-mail, ID management, DNS and several other
areas, and of course has built world-class tools to integrate and manage
the systems.
My hats include Listserv postmaster, Oracle DBA, and backup and recovery.
We're just now implementing a new D2D2D system (Quantum & NetBackup).
Our administrative systems have moved to PeopleSoft on Sun Solaris SPARC
machines, with nearly all of the rest of our shop on Linux Intel machines.
In an odd twist (of cruelty), we've retrained one of our mainframe
operators to handle our Windows systems work.  ;-)

Happy New Year to all!

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne T Smith -- w...@maine.edu
Systems and Operations Group, ITS, UMS
Scanned by WCB Webgate2 AntiSpam/AntiVirus email gateway.

This message is intended only for the addressee.  It may contain privileged or
confidential information.  Any unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately so
that we may correct our internal records.  Please then delete the original
email.  Thank you. (Sent by Webgate1)