Hello,
I'm starting to try to use VMRM to handle "meeting our business goals".
I'm trying to;
1) Prioritizing workloads/guests; "most-loved", "not as much",  least ,
and bottom-feeders
2) setting VMRM's config file to match this above list.
Hoping that the highest will get as much as it needs (within reason),
following down the list, and, if the CPU resources are sufficient,  all
will get enough to accomplish their tasks satisfactorily.
We do not use VMRM for CMM, or setting DASD velocity goals. I am testing
this on a low activity system (test lpar) so the results may be shewed
because due to the lack of competition for CPU resources.

The following is what I have seen about how VMRM determines when/how to
adjust;

A sample monitor interval of less than 1 minute or more than 5 minutes is
not recommended.

For CPU goals, all of the following must be true:
The user has a Relative share setting.
The user does not have LIMITHARD specified on the CPU SHARE setting.
The user is not already within 5% of the goal for the user.

The CPU velocity goal is the percentage of time that the workload should
receive CPU resources when it is ready to consume them. This is computed
by
taking the time the users are running and dividing the sum of time the
users are running or waiting for CPU. The variable target must be an
integer from 1 to
100.

If a user is within a reasonable percent of the target goal, they will be
considered to have met the goal, and no adjustments will be made for this
user

– Workloads are selected first based on importance value
– If a workload was selected in the last interval either for improvement
or degradation, it is skipped and an attempt is made to select another
– If there are workloads of equal importance, the workload farthest from
its goal is selected
– Eligible users within a workload will have their SHARE or IOPRIORITY
adjusted appropriately based on how far they are from the workload goal

• Individual users within selected workload may be adjusted based on
calculations from monitor data
– User must have Relative Share and I/O Priority settings
– User does not have Limithard specified for CPU Share
– Sum of wait and run deltas is > current sample size of 5
– Sum of I/O and Outprioritized deltas is > current sample size of 5
– CPU actual = run delta / (run delta + wait delta) * 100
– DASD actual = IO delta / (IO delta + outprior delta) * 100
• If above criteria is met and user is not within 5% of goal, then they
can be adjusted

How to adjust each user
– relvalue = (CPU goal / actual) * User current share

The current sample size of 5 is a threshold value. It used to determine if
there is enough data to make decisions on for the user.

For example; with monitor settings of;
INTERVAL    1 MINUTES
RATE     5.00 SECONDS
a user would need to be active at least 5 of the 12 samples.

From my testing, VMRM does not provide the results that I expected.  After
adjusting workloads, goals, and importance; VMRM sets relative shares for
most-loved and bottom-feeders the same.   My view may be tainted by past
experiences with WLM on zOS, but I assume this may be due to VMRM just
looking at the last interval vs a loner period for sampling. Also, I found
VMRM logs and the PerfToolKit's display very lacking in helpful data in
this area.

Has anyone had a more positive experience with VMRM? Or am I missing
something?
Thanks,

Please consider the environment before printing this email and any
attachments.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the
individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain
information which is privileged, confidential and prohibited from
disclosure or unauthorized use under applicable law.  If you are
not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail or the
information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the
sender.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
return the material received to the sender and delete all copies
from your system.