We installed a new z/VM 5.3 from tape a while back and are now trying to
back up the z/VM volumes using ADRDSSU from a z/OS system which runs in a
different LPAR.

We get a message that says "the VM-formatted volume does not have an
OS-compatible VTOC".

I found some instructions for using ICKDSF (see below) to format cylinder 0
which is supposed to solve the problem.  I am wondering if this is the only
way to handle this, or if there are other way of doing it or gotcha's I
should watch out for.

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions.

Mike Day
Confident Software
y...@csi-soft.com

> Subject: Re: ADRDSSU backup of VM volume
>

> I guess that 510W01 was never formatted with CPVOL.  Because, CPVOL is
> supposed to not only create CP's allocation bytemap, but also a VTOC
telling
> z/OS (& co) that the disk is full.
> So,
>

> 1. Assure you have no minidisk on 510W01 starting in cylinder 0 (you can
> ignore the minidisk of user $ALLOC$)
> 2. Run ICKDSF, press enter twice (to indicate CONSOLE as in- and output
>

> 1. Link to a FULLPACK overlay on 510W01, or use DEFINE MDISK:
>  cp define mdisk 1234 0 end 510W01
>
> 2. Verify that there is no CP area on the disk (it should not, otherwise
CPVOL
> would have created a dummy VTOC, but you wouldn't like to loose a CP
area).
> Run
>  cpvol list unit(1234) verify(510W01)
> I expect it will tell: ICK33001I 510W01 CYLINDER ZERO NOT IN CP FORMAT.
If it