On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:02:09 -0800 Schuh, Richard said:
>That is the purpose of the PROFILE XEDIT; to customize it to your own
>preferences. My "best" is likely to not be your "best. Changing the system wide
>default of something that has been around for 1 or 2 coon's ages would have the
>potential for causing many people/programs anguish. It is, in my opinion, best
>left as is, especially since it is documented to act that way and you have the
>ability to customize it.

I'm not sure I agree with keeping bad defaults forever.  We've had
enough of them over the years.  I don't think the uppercase default
is due to terminals and keypunches, but to compilers not handling
mixed case keywords.  I'm not sure, but don't all current compilers
accepted mixed case statements?

Look at the problem that Mike originally posed.  It was for inputting
Linux parms.  Most of the new workload is Linux.  It was obviously not
intuitive to those people that it was going to be translated.  Let's
not sacrifice everything on the altar of backwards compatibility.
Didn't we just have this discussion about command compatibility?
Maybe this is another one that needs to be fixed.

>Regards,
>Richard Schuh

/ahw