On Tuesday, 02/16/2010 at 01:20 EST, Billy Bingham
<billy.bingham...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> Risking the old saying that it's better to have someone think you're
stupid
> than to open your  mouth and remove all doubt... but :)
>
> I'm confused about Vswitches on z/VM... sorta. I know you define the
Vswitch in
> the System  Config file, but does the TCPIP guest running on z/VM also
use that
> Vswitch or does TCP/IP  use it's own OSA connection and other Liniux
guests (In
> this case) use the Vswitch? Is there  a 'cookbook' available for setting
up
> Vswitches?
>
> Any hints and tips appreciated.

Billy, if you haven't already done so, please look at the z/VM
Connectivity book.

I suggest that TCPIP be given a virtual NIC on the VSWITCH rather than
dedicating an OSA for these reasons:
1.  VSWITCH has better OSA stall detection than TCPIP
2.  No need for dynamic routing daemon and VIPA
3.  No need for additional IP addresses
4.  Reduces the temptation to share OSA ports (VSWITCH + TCPIP)