IBM has actually made adjustments so some times it works out that you will
see a cost savings going to the newer hardware
we definitely saw that here by going to our Z/10

             Alan Altmark
             <alan_altm...@us.
             ibm.com>                                                   To
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <ib...@listserv.u                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: VM support and 9672

             02/18/2010 04:48
             PM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <ib...@listserv.u
                 ARK.EDU>

On Thursday, 02/18/2010 at 03:24 EST, Wayne Bickerdike <wayn...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> The absurdities of IBM's tactics to force hardware upgrades.

I'm not sure where that comes from, Wayne.  We're not forcing anyone to
upgrade anything.  There are still people out there running VM/ESA on
their 9672s.  If they wanted to run z/VM on their 9672, they would have
gotten z/VM V3 or V4.  But apparently they are content with the status
quo.  Sure, it's a business risk to run in configurations that your
h/w-s/w vendor won't support, but that's nothing new.

Time does march on, though, and the technology changes.  360 -> 370 ->
370/XA -> 390 -> z.   For 5 releases and 5 years (z/VM 3.1 through z/VM
4.4), we straddled the S/390 - z/Architecture fence.  Then we jumped onto
z with both feet with z/VM V5.  Since 2001 we have not been able to
exploit new instructions in z/VM, but as of z/VM 6.1, we have.

People who want to stay on a pre-z10 z/Architecture box can do so.  z/VM
5.4 remains orderable concurrently with z/VM 6.1 and has had its
end-of-service date moved to 9/30/2013.