From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Tobias Doerkes
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 3:32 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] GDPS xDR, I/O-Timing and MIH

this mail is crossposted to IBMVM and LINUX-390

hi lists,

we are a GDPS shop for several years. recently we implemented GDPS xDR in our
sandbox environment. now we found out that there is a different handling of MIH
and I/O-Timing in z/VM as it is in z/OS.

in case the MIH time is reached in z/OS the I/O is redriven as often as I/O
timing is reached - roughly speaking. After reaching I/O timing limit the I/O
is given back to the application with an error. in an GDPS environment i can
choose wether I/O-Timing is a hyperswap trigger or not.

in z/VM I/O-Timing and MIH are the same value. if MIH is reached and hyperswap
is enabled, this situation is a hyperswap trigger. No differentiation, no
recovery, no retry - nothing.

so my question is wether you have MITIME=OFF in z/VM or which value did you
choose in case your installation is xDR enabled?

if IBM would ask me, i would suggest that the handling in z/OS and z/VM should
be the same.

tobias doerkes.