Is this supposed to be an answer to my question?

Regards,
Richard Schuh

________________________________
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Kris Buelens
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:03 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: DDR

A cylinder is not a track.  Depending on the DASD type, a cylinder might be
composed of 12 tracks for example.  z/VSE and z/OS people have those numbers in
their heads, z/VMers count in cylinders.

DFSMS COPY, it can read a whole cylinder with one I/O, and write with one I/O.
Not friendly to other users of the given DASD, but makes a copy as fast as
possibe.