Just leave RCAFVM's 200 and 300 on the disks where they are now (and adapt
the the MDISKs in the z/VM 5.4 directory accordingly.  Or, use DDR to copy
the old 200 and 300 to the new ones (you do that when you are sure RACF is
not updating its databases, and the day you switch to the 5.4 ).
Nothing special I'd say.

The RACFCONV (to update the templates): I'd run that with the new RACF code,
against the old 200 and 300, thus in the 5.3 system:
- get access to 5VMRAC20's 305 (or 505?) MDISK in the z/VM 5.3 system
- use DDR to have backup copy of the current 200 and 300
- LINK to RACFVM 200 and 300
- run RACFCONV
You do that naturally before you copy the 200&300 to the new disks.  But,
you can do that "today", i.e. long before you really take the 5.4 in
production.  The old RACF has no problems to run with a database that has
the new templates.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support