... or T3370 or T3350 ... or T3330?  How far back would you want to go?   :-)

What RR said.  You must have the same kind of physical disk in temp
land as the particular temp type you're defining.  Of course, VFB-512
uses RAM to fake it, presenting a virtual 9336 because a physical 9336
(and a physical 3370) is "just data", no tracks or records or counts
or keys.  (Forgive me for telling you a lot of what you already know.)
 So if you want T9336 or T3370 or TFB-512, you're getting the same
thing with VFB-512.  The FBA disk types can be simulated, but the
various CKD geometries are not simulated.

All contemporary CKD storage frames can present 3390 on the channel.
At one time, most could alternatively present 3380.  I believe the
value in 3380 was migration, though in your case clearly eval and
testing would be another good use for 3380.  CKD is actually all
emulated these days.  Given that it's just software, they COULD
present you with 3350 (or even 3330 or older), but the value decreases
dramatically.  Talk to your storage people.  Maybe they can gen a few
3380 vols for you.  VM should be happy with them.  (Would be
interesting to hear how well zLinux copes with them.)

Now ... validation and/or development is one thing; production is
another.  What do you intend to do with the temp space?

The best temp disk is FBA (eg: 9336).  In CMS, temp FBA disks (either
TFB-512 or VFB-512) are available INSTANTLY because CMS FORMAT does
not have to walk the whole minidisk laying out blocks in tracks in
cylinders.  It merely stamps an empty EDF directory ... voi-la!
formatted.  (Being familiar with Linux, you may note the distinction
between 'dasdfmt' and 'mke2fs'.  CMS FORMAT does both in the case of
CKD, but the former is just not needed with FBA.)  This presumes use
of the '(NOERASE' option, which is a whole nutha discussion.

Little known fact: one storage vendor offers 9336 on the channel.  So
in summary ...

        you can get T3390
        you MAY get T3380 (if your storage vendor supports 3380)
        you can get T9336 if your storage vendor supports 9336
        VFB-512 looks the same to the guest as physical 9336

-- Rick;   <><