If you don't want to avail yourself of the CMS Pipelines Runtime Library,
with all that it offers, then you should be looking in the manuals for the
z/VM-distributed CMS Pipelines (the z/VM online HELP system is your
friend, too!  Enter: HELP PIPE).

The "Author's Edition" specifically describes the "Author's Edition" of
the CMS Pipelines Runtime Library.  The Author's Edition doc does sometime
fall behind the downloadable Runtime Library executables.  But there are
always "PIPELINE NEWS*" files describing the latest RTL fixes and
features.

The latest CMS Pipelines manuals are found by going to:
http://www.vm.ibm.com/library/
IMHO, clicking on the "z/VM PDF list | V6.1 | V5.4 | V5.3 |" on that page
delivers the best results.  That's because I prefer the PDF versions of
the manual.  But there are many choices in how to view manuals, some
better for searching across the library (e.g. now in *which* manuals did I
see "TSAF" mentioned?), some better for printing, etc.

As of today, you'll probably want to select from two of:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/hcsh1b10.pdf  - z/VM IBM CMS
Pipelines User?s Guide version 5 release 2

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/hcsg5b20.pdf - z/VM CMS Pipelines
Reference version 5 release 3

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/hcsg5c00.pdf - z/VM CMS Pipelines
Reference version 6 release 1

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/hcsh1c00.pdf  - z/VM CMS Pipelines
User?s Guide version 6 release 1

And I must say with all due respect to the z/VM Endicott Lab support team,
the original CMS Pipelines author always provides a tested/testable fix to
the Runtime Library faster than the Endicott Lab can for the distributed
Pipes.  It's been reported that John Hartmann does not permit the sun to
set on any reported problem before he has provided a fix.  Your mileage
may vary.

And, yes... SPECS has been referred to as the "Swiss Army Knife" of
stages.  Very powerful.  Often very confusing, too!  :-)

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

Florian Bilek <florian.bi...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
04/28/2010 10:07 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Question on PIPEprogram THREEWAY

Hi Mike,

Thank you for this information. As you say, I am concerned to modify
and/or
 use features from pipes that are not in the original delivery. We had
already bad experiences using features not clearly supported by IBM in
operational environments. So we are quite reluctant to use other than the
original components.

For the possibility of running both versions, I need to study a little bit
more how this is working and will implement it then.

On my system the pipe query version command gives back:

CMS/TSO Pipelines, 5741-A05/5655-A17 1.0110.

I think the manual from the z/VM library should refer to exactly that
version. So, the THREEWAY function is probably not part of is. I have
opened
a PMR for that. Let's see what will come back from the support team.

It is really a pity that IBM does not extend the functions of PIPE. It is
totally unclear for me that this is happening and I would support a change
in the policy. But I think this is not the only component that is "frozen
in
z/VM, isn't it? What is going to happen with z/CMS? This is also in z/VM
V6.1 not really supported.

Kind regards,
Florian

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.