Has anyone else ever used the process for supplying DDRXA control
statements from the IPL device?  The doumentation in the System Operation

manual is pretty straightforward, but it doesn't seem to work (z/VM 5.4,

SLU 0802).

I have written a tape with 2 files.  The first file is a copy of IPL DDRX
that has had some DDR control statements appended to the end (as per the

doc):

   SYSPRINT CONS
   INPUT 181 TAPE (LEAVE
   OUTPUT 2000 DASD
   RESTORE ALL

The second file is a standard DDR DUMP.

DDR starts fine when I IPL the tape, and at the initial DDR prompt I give

it a blank ENTER.  The DDR RESTORE then recognizes the volume label that

was dumped (as is indicated in the first record in the DDR DUMP in file

2), but then the DDR RESTORE appears to be trying to interpret the
remaining records in file 2 as DDR control statements.  Here is a console

log:

 ---- begin console snippet ----

IPL 181 CLEAR LOADPARM 9
z/VM DASD DUMP/RESTORE PROGRAM
ENTER CARD READER ADDRESS OR CONTROL STATEMENTS
ENTER:

HCPDDR717D DATA DUMPED FROM VMM191 TO BE RESTORED
DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?  RESPOND YES, NO OR REREAD:
yes
THR   {-
HCPDDR702E CONTROL STATEMENT SEQUENCE ERROR
THR   {-
HCPDDR701E INVALID OPERAND - THR

  ---- end console snippet ----

Lots of additional the HCSDDR702E messages have been omitted for brevity.

Adding a "PROMPTS OFF" DDR control statement gets the same result, but

without the "DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?" prompt & response.

Using MOVEFILE to copy the 2 tape files back to disk for inspection shows

that they have exactly what I'm expecting them to have.

The "THR" lines are records 2+ of the second file (which DDR DUMP wrote).

As one of numerous tests, I replaced the "RESTORE ALL" with a "TYPE 0 0 0

TO 0 0 1" and it performed as expected without errors.

Is there something I'm doing incorrect or should I open a PMR?

Brian