Can I just add one caveat. One of the types of licence Microsoft provides is
an OEM licence. In the case of a desktop OS an OEM licence is NOT
TRANSFERABLE and dies with the hardware its installed on. Generally if you
buy a PC it has this type of licence. Other than that, as I said beforem
there are very few limits about what hardware you can run the software on.
Many solutions also include downgrade rights, so if you buy a current
Windows Server 2008R2 licence you could install any previous version you
could find the media for, I think probably as far back as NT3.51

Dave