That's very interesting....that the swap disk had a lock on it. The swap disk is a virtual disk in storage, right?

On 05/17/2010 02:14 PM, Eric Spencer wrote:
Dave,

That was it.

This machine had been running linux. I had stopped linux and logged it off.

vdev - 100 (root file system)
        101 (swap)
        102 (/usr)

101 had a device lock on it for some reason.

Thanks

Eric Spencer
p:512.241.7313 | f:512.343.9538
Neon Enterprise Software LLC.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Dave Jones
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 1:53 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Device locks

Eric,

you need to find out what virtual address in the directory entry is
locked and then use the DIRM FOR EWSAUTO1 UNOCK<vaddr>  command.

DJ

On 05/17/2010 01:25 PM, Eric Spencer wrote:
I tried that first (DIRM FOR ... unlock). it doesn't appear to be "that
kind" of lock.

DVHREQ2288I Your UNLOCK request for EWSAUTO1 at * has been accepted.
DVHLOC3601E Directory entry EWSAUTO1 is already unlocked.
DVHREQ2289E Your UNLOCK request for EWSAUTO1 at * has failed; with RC
DVHREQ2289E = 3601.