On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Kris Buelens <kris.buel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rob, are you sure CP selects the channel to use?  That was the case in the
> 370 era.  AFAIK, in XA, CP will create a mask telling which channels *can*
> be used, but it is the IO subsystem that will select the channel and maybe
> even queue the IO if all channels would be busy.  In XA mode CP only queues
> an IO if it knows the device is busy (ie it launched an IO itself), device
> busy due to IO's from other LPARs or CECs will be queued by the IO
> subsystem.

Thanks Kris. I see my sentence could be read in different ways.

I think we agree that CP does not attempt to make the I/O subsystem
balance the paths. But I just looked it up and stand corrected about
the intentions of the channel subsystem. I was mislead because our
DASD subsystem does have a preferred path.

"You can specify a preferred channel path to an I/O device. When you
do not specify a preferred path, the channel subsystem uses a rotation
order for the initiation of I/O requests to a device."

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software