The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
05/25/2010 03:45:56 PM:

> "Wiggins, Mark" <mark.wigg...@uconn.edu>
> Sent by: The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
>
> 05/25/2010 03:45 PM
>
> Please respond to
> The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

> IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> Mapping an Emulated DASD device to an SVC LUN number
>
> We?re looking to migrate to a new z/10 and we?ve come up with an
> issue that hoping someone out there knows how to resolve. A while
> back when we installed our SVC (2145) we lost the ability to see the
> ?real? LUN number that was being assigned to our z/VM system as an
> emulated (9336) device. On the SVC side on things you see a 16
> character LIN id like this; 000000000000013D (which we?d only use
> the last 4 of ?015E?). When you run the SCSIDISC command on z/VM,
> the LUN that shows up in z/VM in just the next number in sequential
> order (e.g. if it was the 11 LUN allocated, it would have a LUN id
> of 000A000000000000). Are there any commands from z/VM that can be
> issued to give you the LUN id as defined within the SVC? A command
> like ?q edev e011 details? shows
>
> EDEV E011 TYPE FBA ATTRIBUTES 2145
>   VENDOR:  IBM PRODUCT :  2145 REVISION:  0000
>   BLOCKSIZE:  512 NUMBER OF BLOCKS:  83886080
>   PATHS:
>                 FCP_DEV:  A200 WWPN:  50050768011035EE LUN:
> 000A000000000000 PREF
>                      CONNECTION TYPE:  SWITCHED
>
> Mark Wiggins
> University of Connecticut
> 860-486-2792

Mark,

I agree with the others.  I think you need to use the SVC's GUI, command
line interface, or CIM interfaces to get info about managed disks.  The
CLI is probably the easiest because it only requires an ssh client.  CIM
probably requires writing some code, and the GUI needs a browser.

Regards,

Ray Higgs
System z FCP Development
Bld. 706, B24