Franz, the IBM-er is right, you can mix CP and IFL in a single LPAR with either z/VM 5.4 or 6.1......if you are running 6.1, your system must be a z10.

However, even if it is technically possible to mix engines, I generally recommend that you limit your Linux LPARs to IFLs only. It guarantees that all work in the LPAR will be dispatched on the faster IFL engines, and may have financial implications with respect to software licensing charges.