Your VSE systems should be at a high enough level (the z/VSE systems certainly) where you can take advantage of a disconnected Vswitch. Each time a VSE system is added, you will not have to go through this mess. Your VSE/ESA 2.6.2 system should be at a high enough level (according the planning guide that release supports QDIO, but I think that was the first release to do so).

On 07/22/2010 06:06 AM, Mario Izaguirre wrote:
Hi, Rich

I have zVSE 4.2.1 in a 5 Virtual Machines, and one with VSE/ESA 2.6.2.

Best Regards,

Mario Izaguirre
Mainframe System Programmer
Barcelona, Spain
-----Mensaje original-----
De: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] En
nombre de Rich Smrcina
Enviado el: jueves, 22 de julio de 2010 13:04
Para: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Asunto: Re: TCPIP Dynamic Definition

The TCP/IP Obeyfile command can be used to dynamically modify the stack,

but unfortunately you can not add or remove DEVICE or LINK statements.
If you know you will be adding VSE machines in the future, you may want
to 'pre-configure' TCP/IP with DEVICE and LINK statements for a normal
shutdown/restart cycle so that they are available when a VSE system is
added.  Then the HOME/GATEWAY/START statements can be added dynamically.

What release are these VSE systems?  If they are newer than VSE/ESA
2.6/2.7, it may be better to try to convert them to a disconnected
VSwitch.  This way there is no playing around with device addresses and
point-to-point links.  The VSE systems see the disconnected VSwitch just

like any other QDIO device.