On Friday, 07/23/2010 at 11:33 EDT, Edward M Martin <emar...@aultman.com>
wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
>         This is a question about the ?other? IBM OS.    I am hoping that
you
> all will know this answer.
>
>         Does z/OS have TCP/IP as part of the base system, and does z/OS
have
> SFTP too?

IBM-MAIN is where the z/OS folks hang out.  Yes, TCP/IP is part of z/OS
base.  ssh and sftp are not in the base, but are part of IBM Ported Tools.

Note: you can't use sftp to transfer MVS datasets**.  If you want dataset
support you need to get a commercial ssh offering.

** Wow.  Something CMS does that MVS doesn't.  A posix file id of the form
//filename.filetype.filemode gets you out of BFS and into the traditional
CMS filesystem.  "We bad, we bad...."