zEnterprise Generation *1*,  *96* engines.

On 08/23/2010 05:17 PM, Mike Walter wrote:
I was sort'a wondering why IBM marketing types came up with the z196 model
number.
I struggle to keep from calling it a z168 - the 370 model 168 has an
illustrious past.

It dawned on me today that it perhaps the internal model naming battle may
have come down to a case of simple arithmetic:  1+9+6 = 16 and  16 =
'10'x.

So could that shiny new z196 be a z10 on steroids, looked at in a
different way.  ;-)
And no, it could not name been called an x10 due to copyright use of X10,
and confusion with IBM's own System x hardware,  an IBM language called
X10, and who knows how many other reasons.

What...???  You never wanted a Monday to be Friday!!??

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

--
Rich Smrcina
Phone: 414-491-6001

Catch the WAVV! http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2011 - April 15-19, 2011 Colorado Springs, CO