tyvm everyone,

The IPL shows the old Service Level but the current date/time stamp.

                19:09:15 z/VM  V5 R4.0  SERVICE LEVEL 0802 (64-BIT)
        19:09:16 SYSTEM NUCLEUS CREATED ON 2010-10-14 AT 12:05:41, LOADED
FROM 54XRES

It is the same whether I IPL from CF1 or CF2, but CF3 shows the 2 year old
version.

I did run Service and P2P twice once for the RSU and once again for the
COR for the 3 z196 compatibility APARs.

I did IPL between the 2 Service sessions.

SERVICE ALL STATUS shows these APARs were applied, built, and put2prod.

service all status vm64798
VMFSRV2760I SERVICE processing started
VMFSRV1226I CP (5VMCPR40%CP) APAR VM64798 (PTF UM33151) status:
VMFSRV1226I    RECEIVED  10/14/10 12:02:44
VMFSRV1226I    APPLIED   10/14/10 12:03:24
VMFSRV1226I    BUILT     10/14/10 12:06:15
VMFSRV1226I    PUT2PROD  10/14/10 12:23:28
VMFSRV2760I SERVICE processing completed successfully

service all status vm64879
VMFSRV2760I SERVICE processing started
VMFSRV1226I CP (5VMCPR40%CP) APAR VM64879 (PTF UM33171) status:
VMFSRV1226I    RECEIVED  10/14/10 12:02:44
VMFSRV1226I    APPLIED   10/14/10 12:03:24
VMFSRV1226I    BUILT     10/14/10 12:06:15
VMFSRV1226I    PUT2PROD  10/14/10 12:23:28
VMFSRV2760I SERVICE processing completed successfully

service all status vm64881
VMFSRV2760I SERVICE processing started
VMFSRV1226I CP (5VMCPR40%CP) APAR VM64881 (PTF UM33183) status:
VMFSRV1226I    RECEIVED  10/14/10 12:02:44
VMFSRV1226I    APPLIED   10/14/10 12:03:24
VMFSRV1226I    BUILT     10/14/10 12:06:15
VMFSRV1226I    PUT2PROD  10/14/10 12:23:28
VMFSRV2760I SERVICE processing completed successfully

But that is no assurance that I am running with them, unless the 0802 is
just "cosmetic".  But I doubt it.

I will need to examine $VMF... $MSGLOG more carefully, as MIke Walter
suggests, to see what has happened.

PTFs did get applied and I do see the correct SES envelop FNs in $MSGLOG,
so I know I did not just rerun with the old SERVLINK.

George Henke/NYLIC
10/14/2010 06:36 PM

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
cc

Subject
Re: Applied RSU but CPLEVEL is unchanged

My HCPCPE AUXVM file shows 0802

My SHOPZ order has Stacked 5407 and PTF UM97540.

I saw PTFs go on, but I can't explain the AUXVM contents.

Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.com>
10/14/2010 03:37 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Applied RSU but CPLEVEL is unchanged

George,

RSU0802 is from "5402RSU Stacked Product RSU -  December  12, 2008".

Does CP Query CPLOAD show the sysres from which you expected to IPL?
(Again, a good reason to not use the save volser on different real device
addresses, aka UCB's).  If not, don't blame the service, it would be time
to figure out what went wrong in your maintenance process between your
production and new DDR'ed 2nd level systems.

Can you provide the exact APAR or PTF number that you actually ordered?

To find the most current z/VM PTF, always search for APAR UM97vr0 (where
v=version, and r=release).
For example for z/VM 5.4 you'd check out UM97540, and for z/VM 6.1 it
would be UM97610.

The RSU display by Q CPLEVEL is updated with each RSU into HPCCPE.  You
might want to enter:
VMFSETUP ZVM CP
then
FILELIST HCPCPE * *
See what's in the HCPCPR AUXVM file.  If it shows the PTF for RSU1002,
then it's time to find out where the CPLOAD MODULE was written.
For clues, browse the " $VMFP2P  $MSGLOG  A1" file.  The most recent
udpates are at the top, going back through history downward through the
file.
Ours shows:
---<snip>---
ST:HCPZAC6730I CPRELEASE request for disk A completed.

ST:VMFP2P2204I Linking MAINT CF1 as 1FFF with the link mode M
ST:DMSACP723I X (CF2) R/O
ST:VMFP2P1231I Copying files from the Secondary Parm disk to the Primary

ST:            Parm disk

ST:HCPZAC6732I CPACCESS request for MAINT's 0CF1 in mode A completed.
---<snip>---

That implies that the VMFBLD wrote to CPLOAD MODULE to the CF2 disk, and
that the PUT2PROD copied the files from the CF2 to the CF1.
Too bad the messages don't include the names of the files copied (or just
say "Copying ALL files..."), and information from QUERY MDISK CF1 LOCATION
and CF2, like:
TargetID Tdev OwnerID  Odev Dtype Vol-ID Rdev   StartLoc       Size
MAINT    0CF1 MAINT    0CF1 3390  VMR54I 6A40       2521        120
TargetID Tdev OwnerID  Odev Dtype Vol-ID Rdev   StartLoc       Size
MAINT    0CF2 MAINT    0CF2 3390  VMR54I 6A40       2641        120
you would immediately know from and to where PUT2PROD did it's behind the
scenes work at that date and time.

Let us know how it works out.

Mike Walter
Aon Hewitt
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"George Henke/NYLIC" <george_he...@newyorklife.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
10/14/2010 01:56 PM

Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Applied RSU but CPLEVEL is unchanged

I ordered RSU 1002 from SHOPZ,IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU or so I thought.

SHOPZ called it RSU5407 when it gave me the download.

Applied 35 PTFs, others were already on, PUT2PROD, and IPLed.

But CPLEVEL still shows 0802:

q cplevel
z/VM Version 5 Release 4.0, service level 0802 (64-bit)
Generated at 10/14/10 12:05:41 EDT
IPL at 10/14/10 14:40:34 EDT

Any ideas?

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if
the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any
attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents
of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly
prohibited. All messages sent to and from this e-mail address may be
monitored as permitted by applicable law and regulations to ensure
compliance with our internal policies and to protect our business. E-mails
are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be
intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. You are
deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us by e-mail.