The syntax you indicate for the BFS stage is wrong.  Did it get pasted
into the message incorrectly?

You can FTP to/from BFS just fine.  I forget off the top of my head
just how to activate it.

You can mount NFS filesystems into a BFS tree.  I have used that for
years.  It is really teriffic.  When you mount the filesystem, you
must pay attention to whether or not character set translation is in
effect.  I ALWAYS turn it on or off for the whole hierarchy being
mounted.  (There is a "list" option, which I believe is the default,
where translation can be applied based on the filename.  it gets
messy.)

DO NOT use NFS for general file transfer.  It looks appealing.  But it
has never worked well.  The design of the network filesystem protocols
has never been tuned for bulk transfer.  This has nothing to do with
the implementation, CMS or some other.  The underlying NFS protocol is
not well suited to heavy content transport.