On Thursday, 11/04/2010 at 05:22 EDT, "Schuh, Richard" <rsc...@visa.com>
wrote:

> The entire process is done via VMFTP. It takes a long time to transfer
all of
> the files. I read somewhere that a new data path is created for each
file. This
> appears to be where the time is being spent. Is there any was to cut
down on or
> eliminate this time? It would seem to me to be much more efficient if
all of
> the data were transferred over the same path without all of the
reconnecting.

On the data connection, it is the TCP session disconnection that signals
EOF (there are no file markers in stream mode).   As another benefit, ftp
clients can spawn a separate thread for each file, allowing them to be
transferred concurrently instead of serially.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices