Thanks Alan.  :)

-Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:46 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: FTP Command To Use SSL without TLS?

On Thursday, 11/18/2010 at 10:34 EST, Michael Coffin
<michaelcof...@mccci.com> wrote:

> I need to connect to an FTPS server on my network that has Implicit SSL
> enabled.  Using the CMS FTP client, what is the magic incantation of
options to
> initiate a secure session WITHOUT using TLS?
>
> The SECURE option says the connection will be secured using TLS.
Obviously,
> that?s no good in this case, the FTPS server expects the incoming
connection
> stream to already be encrypted.  This is on z/VM 5.4 FYI.

As you already suspect, there is no magic.  Implicit TLS means there is no
negotiation.  If there is no negotiation, then the ftp client cannot
influence the server.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training