Windows is more specific about its requirements for line termination.
Generally it must be CR/LF.  I have found some editors and other tools on
Windows to be really confused when fed a Unix text file, for example.

Can you bring up the file with "WordPad"?  (aka 'write')

Can you 'type' the file?

-- R;
Rick Troth
Velocity Software