Ok, I've reread the announcement letter.

I see my confusion...

The z/196 supports Power Blades.

And Power Blades support i5 (the operating system formerly known as i5.OS or
OS/400).

It doesn't mean that z/196 has the support for the i5 OS.

Which is kind of strange.

Is this a licensing issue where IBM couldn't get a license for i5 to run on the
z/196?  Different divisions have their own chiefs....

Or is it that there is some emulation involved with running i5 on POWER that
isn't available on the z/196?

Or is it that there are some device drivers, performance metrics that can't be
obtained, or something, that means i5 isn't available for production, at this
time?

Oh well....
I guess that is why there hasn't been any chatter on the forums about this.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> zMan <zedgarhoo...@gmail.com> 11/24/2010 2:59 PM >>>
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Tom Duerbusch
<duerbus...@stlouiscity.com> wrote:
> This being a pseudo Friday in the USA due to Thanksgiving holidays....
>
> Does anyone have any experience with the AS/400 support in the z/196 box?
> Yep, I know it is a separate processor/memory and connected somehow, in some
> sort of internal network....but..

Did I miss something? ISTR that the Power blades supported AIX but not iOS.
--
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"