From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Horlick, Michael
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:21 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Problems with MPROUTE going from z800 to z9BC computer

Greetings,

A couple of days ago we tried to migrate from our current CPU (Z800 - Model
2066) to a z9BC Mode R07 (2096).

We had this new machine for a couple of weeks and we created a copy of our z/VM
5.4 system on it (XXXRES = 540RES, XXXPAG = 540PAGetc...).  I was able to test
z/VM 5.4 and TCP/IP on it and it worked fine given that we were assigned new IP
addresses for it. We have 2 TCP/IP stacks, one for our use, the other for the
clients. For the client, on our production machine we use VIPA/MPROUTE.

We could not test VIPA/MPROUTE on the new machine but static routing worked
fine. We tried the OSA card in QDIO and non-QDIO mode and no problems.
Connectivity for both us and the client.

Come migration time however, we could not get the VIPA/MPROUTE functionality
working. I could not ping from within the mainframe to anything beyond the OSA
card. Tried both QDIO and non-QDIO mode.
Our TCP/IP stack, no problems.

We had to back out and now we have to try to set up a test VIPA/MROUTE setup
and try it on the new machine. Waiting on the telecom architect for this.

No changes to the configuration files were done (except for QDIO in the PROFILE
 TCPIP, but the same configuration files for non-QDIO).

Any clues what could have gone wrong?

Thanks,

Mike Horlick
CGI Montreal