Guest operating systems almost always live in Q3.  Try bumping up the Q3
STORBUF.

________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Wakser, David
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:21 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Strange response time problems (also posted on VSE-L)

Already did that:

q srm

IABIAS : INTENSITY=90%; DURATION=3

LDUBUF : Q1=300% Q2=200% Q3=150%

STORBUF: Q1=300% Q2=200% Q3=150%

DSPBUF : Q1=32767 Q2=32767 Q3=32767

DISPATCHING MINOR TIMESLICE = 5 MS

MAXWSS : LIMIT=9999%

...... : PAGES=999999

XSTORE : 0%

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Helmuth Teubl
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:06 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

Hi,
maybe SRM-Settings not OK? You should overcommit LDUBUFs and STORBUFs
The defaults are:
CP Q SRM
IABIAS : INTENSITY=90%; DURATION=2
LDUBUF : Q1=100% Q2=75% Q3=60%
STORBUF: Q1=125% Q2=105% Q3=95%
DSPBUF : Q1=32767 Q2=32767 Q3=32767
DISPATCHING MINOR TIMESLICE = 5 MS
MAXWSS : LIMIT=9999%
...... : PAGES=999999
XSTORE : 0%
LIMITHARD METHOD: DEADLINE

Have a look, maybe try following settings:
q srm
IABIAS : INTENSITY=90%; DURATION=2
LDUBUF : Q1=300% Q2=200% Q3=100%
STORBUF: Q1=300% Q2=275% Q3=250%
DSPBUF : Q1=32767 Q2=32767 Q3=32767
DISPATCHING MINOR TIMESLICE = 5 MS
MAXWSS : LIMIT=9999%
...... : PAGES=999999
XSTORE : 0%
LIMITHARD METHOD: DEADLINE

kind regards
Helmuth

Inactive hide details for David.Wakser---21.12.2010 15:54:15---All: We
are running 2 2.3 VSE systems under z/VM 5.4 on a Z800
David.Wakser---21.12.2010 15:54:15---All: We are running 2 2.3 VSE
systems under z/VM 5.4 on a Z800 CPU.

david.wak...@infocrossing.com

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

21.12.2010 15:54

Strange response time problems (also posted on VSE-L)

Gesendet von:

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

________________________________

All:

We are running 2 2.3 VSE systems under z/VM 5.4 on a Z800 CPU. We are
experiencing periods of time when VSEs do not respond at all (e.g.
cannot get in via FAQS from CMS, etc.), even though nothing is running
in the VSE system and the z/VM system is not very busy. At other times,
we have excellent response times, though conditions on either the guests
or the z/VM host didn't seem to change.

We do not have any z/VM monitors (except Explore, which is not set up
properly), and we have even tried QUICKDSP, without success.

Is anyone aware of any PTFs that address this strange behavior? We
believe it started when the system was upgraded to z/VM 5.4.

David Wakser

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail, including any attachment to it, may
contain material that is confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or
"Protected Health Information," within the meaning of the regulations
under the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act as amended.
If it is not clear that you are the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you have received this transmittal in error, and any
review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, including
any attachment to it, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please immediately return it to the sender and delete
it from your system. Thank you.

Raiffeisen Informatik GmbH, Firmenbuchnr. 88239p, Handelsgericht Wien,
DVR 0486809, UID ATU 16351908

Der Austausch von Nachrichten mit oben angefuehrtem Absender via E-Mail
dient ausschliesslich Informationszwecken. Rechtsgeschaeftliche
Erklaerungen duerfen ueber dieses Medium nicht ausgetauscht werden.
Correspondence with above mentioned sender via e-mail is only for
information purposes. This medium may not be used for exchange of
legally-binding communications.