Thanks Alan, I forwarded your reply to my co-worker and he came back with some
more comments/questions.  I'm not sure what , if anything, he has heard from
the support center.

I'm pretty sure that I have the sharing setup correctly.
>From SYSTEM CONFIG
    RDEV     96BD        Type  DASD Shared yes
    RDEV     9AAF        Type  DASD Shared yes

q dasd vmurce
DASD 96BD CP SYSTEM VMURCE   2     SHARED
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 14:49:12
q dasd vmurcf
DASD 9AAF CP SYSTEM VMURCF   2     SHARED
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 14:49:15

>From RACFVM entry in USER DIRECT
   MDISK 0200 3390 0001 0200 VMURCF MWV XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
   MDISK 1200 3390 0201 3138 VMURCF MW XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
   MDISK 0300 3390 0001 0200 VMURCE MWV XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
   MDISK 1300 3390 0201 3138 VMURCE MW XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

rac rvary list
ICH15013I RACF DATABASE STATUS:
ACTIVE   USE    NUMBER   VOLUME     DATASET
------   ---    ------   ------     -------
 YES     PRIM      1     RACF       RACF.DATASET
 YES     BACK      1     RACFBK     RACF.BACKUP
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 14:50:05

I'm trying to figure out a method to perform the template conversion without
having to take down all three of the z/VM systems.  I planned the following
steps

1) RVARY SWITCH all systems to the backup RACF database, leaving the primary
RACF database inactive
2) LINK RACFVM 200 200 MW
3) run RACFCONV
4) RVARY ACTIVE DATASET(RACF.DATASET) on all systems
5) RVARY SWITCH on all systems, leaving the backup RACF database inactive
6) LINK RACFVM 300 300 MW
7) run RACFCONV
8) RVARY ACTIVE DATASET(RACF.BACKUP) on all systems

I got through steps 1 and 2 but when I ran the RACFCONV exec, I got the
following error

Blocksize for the RACF database at virtual address 200 was not 4096 or could
not be determined.  The RACF database must be in restructed format with a
blocksize of 4096.

I'm positive that I have a restructured database because I'm running the
RACFDBU utility daily to unload it, and that is one of the requirements for
using RACFDBU to unload the file.

Paul Feller
AIT Mainframe Technical Support