On Tuesday, 01/25/2011 at 11:46 EST, "Schuh, Richard" <rsc...@visa.com>
wrote:
> Are you sure about that? Any posted read that is not responded to  will
get a
> disconnected machine forced regardless of whether it is VM or CP  read.
The
> forced disconnect is in response to terminal errors during I/O and is
relevant
> to this discussion only if a read is posted while  disconnected. It is
all as
> documented, I  do believe., and is not a bug. The reason for it is
fairly
> obvious. If  there is no secuser for the machine, someone has to log on
> respond to the  read. If nobody logs on, then the read triggers the
logoff
> force timer.   This is nothing new to XA.
>
> If, whenever you logon,  a CP Read is posted, it is because you do not
have SET
> RUN ON. That CP Read  bears no relationship to the logoff timer. That
goes back
> to the earliest  releases of VM and probably beyond to CP40 and CP67. I
only
> got into VM at the  VM370 Release 1 level as a user, Release 2 as a
sysprog.,
> so I cannot speak  to the earlier systems.

You can have a CP READ on your console for reasons other than SET RUN OFF,
such as
- Prompt for AUTOLOG or minidisk password
- TRACE is active
- Prompt to system operator for ESM failsoft processing

The description of DISCONNECT_TIMEOUT is a little vague in that it talks
about "forced disconnect".  That situation occurs when
1. You get an I/O error on local non-SNA 3270 device (e.g. TEST/NORMAL,
chpid pull);
2. You sever a *CCS terminal connection (VTAM, linemode telnet) while it
has a virtual machine logged on through it;
3. You terminate a logical device (PVM, TN3270, Yvette) while it has a
virtual machine logged on through it;
4. You issue CP FORCE DISCONNECT *and* the victim currently has a console
read (VM READ or CP READ) outstanding;
5. A disconnected virtual machine issues an "unresolvable" console read.
By that I mean that there is no console input stacked by CP and there is
no active secondary user.

All of these conditions cause an I/O error to be returned to CP's terminal
driver.  The first 3 cases result in a 'forced disconnect' message, e.g.
  GRAF L0003 DISCONNECT MAINT    USERS = 10    FORCED BY SYSTEM

Case 4 gives you
  GRAF L0003 DISCONNECT MAINT    USERS = 10    FORCED BY ALAN

In all cases, the user is disconnected and the countdown to oblivion
(DISCONNECT_TIMER) begins.

SET RUN OFF/ON is a bit of a red herring.  It affects what happens when
you issue a CP command while you are in CP READ.  With RUN ON, an implicit
BEGIN is done.  With RUN OFF, you remain in CP READ and the virtual
processors are not dispatched.  If the CP READ is "unresolvable" per the
above, then the timer starts.

And I personally think the CP READ v. VM READ issue is a bug.  Until the
introduction of class C SEND (no SECUSER), there was no hope to answer the
VM READ, and so making it a CP READ didn't hurt.  Now it does.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices