Very few people understand the scheduler, and what it does - What it does, it does very well. You just have to understand the language.

Rob did some recent experiments that validated how it works, and validated how little functions like VRM really help your workloads (except by accident). From the VelocitySoftware.com page, go to "Linux Hints and Tips". There is a new link there to Rob's recent research. I would recommend reading it and understanding it before setting shares (or using VRM).

Hughes, Jim wrote:
Thanks for the reply Marty.  Long time, no see.

Our VSE systems are mainly interactive CICS or IDMS/DC systems during the day. Night time they become batch machines.

The CICS and IDMS/DC systems are mainly accessed via VTAM.

Our three production systems are each set to ABSOLUTE 20% with no defined target maximum. The sum of our ABSOLUTE SHARE users does total 100%.

With that said, we’ve asked ourselves is ABSOLUTE 20% enough?

The manual says once you have defined the minimum target ABSOLUTE SHARE to total 100%, the scheduler reserves 1% for the RELATIVE SHARE users. It goes on to say that once an ABSOLUTE SHARE user has reached its minimum target share it only gets more if system resources are available.

What I am looking for is a way to keep the production systems behaving if a production vse system(absolute share), test vse system(relative share) or a cms user(relative share) begins to loop. The more I read about CP SET SHARE the more I suspect it isn’t designed to be a panacea for smooth performance in time of trouble.

Maybe I should be investigating the VM Performance Monitor to assist with dynamic performance adjustment in a time of trouble. Comments?

Jim Hughes
Consulting Systems Programmer
Mainframe Technical Support Group
Department of Information Technology
State of New Hampshire
27 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
603-271-5586    Fax 603.271.1516

Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this message are confidential. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, use or dissemination (either whole or in part) is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message from your system.