I think Watson should say D'oh! (ala Homer Simpson) when Watson gets a
wrong answer.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:27 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Watson

On Tuesday, 02/15/2011 at 05:04 EST, Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I was just watching Jeopardy with Watson, IBM's 'thinking' computer.
> Quite amazing even though his occasional misses are comical. There may

be a PTF
> available to fix that.
> I wonder what the business justification was for building it.

ibm.com/watson

I find most fascinating the development of the Watson's understanding of

the concepts of "important" and "context" through computer learning.
The
point being to develop new information systems that can sift through
data
and find patterns that can brought to bear on real-world problems.

The PTF you mention is available, but I don't think it was used in the
game.  Watson does not hear the other contestants' answers.  In the
trials, his performance rose in a category when he was given the others'

answers, wrong or right.  (You'll recall that he repeated the incorrect
answer "1920s".)

At least Watson hasn't learned to blush when he's wrong (though his sun
rays turn orange).  Yet.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training