The mainframe certainly isn't dying, from "Big-Iron Brouhaha"
(http://esj.com/Articles/2011/02/15/Big-Iron-Brouhaha.aspx?Page=1):

"Systems and Technology had fantastic performance, with 21 percent
growth. We had growth in every platform, but the most impressive growth
was in our System z mainframes, which were up almost 70 percent," said
CFO Mark Loughridge, in Big Blue's Q4 earnings conference call.

and...

Also during Q4, IBM picked up two dozen new System z customers

I, too, wished IBM would do more to highlight the z series capabilities
in public forums, but Watson is a massively parallel system (2K+ cores,
I believe), and I have my doubts as to whether or not a collection of
z10s could be integrated together tightly enough to meet the software's
requirements. I could be wrong, however. :-)

DJ

--
Dave Jones
V/Soft Software