On Thursday, 02/24/2011 at 01:25 EST, Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Are the results of these commands the same?
> pipe hostid | specs  /PING/ 1 1-18 6 / (T 100/ 24 | cms | console
> ping 127.0.0.1 (T 100
> My goal is to verify TCPIP is up and running before I continue.
> Is there a better way?

Technically, no, they are not the same.  In the first example you are
pinging the primary interface.  In the second case, you are pinging the
loopback address.    If the  interface for the primary interface is down,
the 1st ping will fail.  If loopback is disabled, the 2nd ping will fail.

If all you want to know is "Is the stack up?" then you can do

   "PIPE CMS PIPE HOSTID | HOLE"
 (yes, run PIPE in a PIPE to suppress FPLxxx message)

RC=0 means the stack is up.  Non-zero means down,  If you do PIPE
(NOMSGLEVEL 7) HOSTID | HOLE, then you'll get an error message with RC 314
telling you TCPIP is not available.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training