We are running a z10 and z/VM 5.4.  It is time get some new tape drives.
The hardware we are looking at acquiring are:

3592-C06 TS1120 Tape Controller
3592-E05 IBM TS1120 Tape Drive

1) Do z/VM & z/VSE support the proposed tape drives writing encrypted
        data to the tapes?

2) According to the SC24-7320-02 red book, we need to run an
        out-of-band tape controller connection to an EKM server
        running on z/OS or another EKM platform. Earlier in the
        same document, there is a statement that (Section 2.1,
        document page 25, 1st full paragraph) says we must purchase
        TPC-BE (whatever that is) to gain access to an open systems
        EKM.

If anyone is using these devices would you care to comment on these two
statements? If you have any suggestions or other things we need to
consider, please share them.

Thanks in advance.
____________________
Jim Hughes
Consulting Systems Programmer
Mainframe Technical Support Group
Department of Information Technology
State of New Hampshire
27 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
603-271-5586    Fax 603.271.1516

Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this message are
confidential. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, use or
dissemination (either whole or in part) is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the message from your system.