From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On
Behalf Of gclo...@br.ibm.com
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:47 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Perfkit: plotting IFL and classic processors in 2 graphs

Hi,
Made some tests. Perftk shows the mixed processor types for a "Type VM"
Lpar, on some screens. Like FCX100 and FCX144.
But I can't find any field "by processor" to use in the PLOT screens. At
least none in the menu...
Clovis

Kris Buelens <kris.buel...@gmail.com>

IBMVM@listserv.uark.edu

03/03/2011 08:12 AM

Perfkit: plotting IFL and classic processors in 2 graphs

Sent by:

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@listserv.uark.edu>

  _____

I've got a customer for which we are planning to merge its 2 LPARS into one
ZVM-type LPAR.

He has a z10 with 2 processors: a classic and an IFL.  At the installation
time z/VM 5.3 was the most recent VM, so they created two LPARs: one LPAR
with "classic" processors for his VM/VSE workload, and an IFL LPAR with
Linuxes.

With the installation of z/VM 5.4, it is possible to merge both and simplify
system management (like only 1 tape drive available, so the IFL things to
backup have to be done by the other LPAR), etc...

My customer has a valid question: how will he be able to use PERFKIT's
browser interface to plot the %CPU of the IFL and of the classic processor.
It is indeed possible that the load for the IFL's becomes too high, but the
classic processor has "room".  A plot with the combined load would hide the
bottleneck.

The manual and the browser interface doesn't make it clear it one can plot
CPU used by processor (or by processor type).

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support