Thank you very much
Munson

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob van der Heij [rvdh...@gmail.com]
Sent: 03/04/2011 10:32 PM CET
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Query Proc

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Mike Walter <mike.wal...@aonhewitt.com> wrote:
> A quick Google search didn't turn up anything obvious.  Our z/OS folks
> never heard of "Reserved processors" in z/OS (they see processors by the
> command: D M=CPU).
>
> Perhaps "them" are using the term "Reserved" for processors "Dedicated" to
> an LPAR?

It says: "A logical CPU is in the reserved state when it is in the
level-2 configuration, is not available to be used to execute
programs, and cannot be made available by issuing instructions to
place it in the configured state" as opposed to a "standby" processor
that *can* be made available, and "configured" processors that *are*
available to execute programs.

The LPAR configuration has fields for "initial" and "reserved" number
of CPUs. My understanding is that "initial" is how many logical CPUs
come online when you activate the LPAR, and that you can add logical
CPUs upto the "reserved" without an outage of the LPAR.

| Rob
*************************** IMPORTANT
NOTE*****************************-- The opinions expressed in this
message and/or any attachments are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates ("BBH"). There is no guarantee that
this message is either private or confidential, and it may have
been altered by unauthorized sources without your or our knowledge.
Nothing in the message is capable or intended to create any legally
binding obligations on either party and it is not intended to
provide legal advice. BBH accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage from its use, including damage from virus.