From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mark Post
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:16 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] SLES 9 on a z/196?

>>> On 3/29/2011 at 05:56 PM, "Harris, Nick J." <nhar...@txfb-ins.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We are curious to know if anyone is running any SLES 9 quests on a z196?  In
> test or production?  With any issues?
>
> It has come to our attention that the minimum requirements for the z196 are
> SLES 10 and 11 but that IBM has tested SLES 9 w/SP4 and it is supported.

Please reference this web page
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/linux/resources/testedplatforms.html and
note the following restrictions:
*  Only OSA2 and OSA3 card are supported by z196. SLES 9 SP4 will work, but
only for port=0 (so ports 1 (OSA2) and 1,2,3 (OSA3) are not accessible)

* HyperPAV support available since SLES 11, and planned for SLES 10 SP4, is not
planned for SLES 9 SP4

* CEX3 card hardware exploitation is not available. CEX3 cards work to the
extent of CEX2 due to an updated device driver in SLES 9 SP4.

Note also that the statement of support applies only to "SLES 9 SP4 + latest
maintenance updates."  That means, being absolutely up to date with your
maintenance.

It's time to be moving off of SLES9, folks.  If you're going to pay for all
that nice new hardware, you might want to be running an OS that can use it.  :)

Mark Post