From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On
Behalf Of peter.w...@ttc.ca
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 2:03 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: FTP Problem

Thanks for the responses.

>Are all ports really open?

I think so. I trust the network guy, and he showed me the firewall
settings (which didn't mean a lot to me).

>Can you open a connection going the other way?

I can do a trace route which appears to work. Access to 10.200.70.35 is
difficult. See below.

>Are the hanging servers trying to do a reverse dns lookup on the
>windows workstation?

Possibly. I don't know how to tell.

>Is the windows machine connecting to z/VM using command line or a GUI?

GUI.

>Try the dos prompt command line ftp and see if it still fails.

I tried when I visited in December. No luck. One difficulty is that
10.200.70.35 is located at another facility in a high security area with
very restricted access, and visitors are subject to being booted out
immediately if 'something' happens. This includes my contact at the
other facility. That's why I want to try and work the problem from the
z/VM end.

>Did they check firewall configuration on the Windows boxes? The default
>settings for the Windows firewalls don't permit FTP.

The workstation 10.200.70.35 can successfully FTP out, and the server
10.199.8.15 accepts FTP connections to it, so I don't think that the
Windows firewall is the problem.

Peter

material.  Any review retransmission dissemination or other use of or
taking any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient or delegate is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this in error please contact the sender and
delete the material from any computer.  The integrity and security of
this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.  The sender accepts
no liability for the content of this e-mail or for the consequences of
any actions taken on the basis of information provided.  The recipient
should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any
virus transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is property of the
TTC and must not be altered or circumvented in any manner.