On Friday, 04/22/2011 at 01:49 EDT, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"
<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:
> We have be told by the auditors to set the AUTOLOG and LINK to in the
> PASSWORD_ON_CMDS parameter to ?NO? on the SYSTEM CONFIG Features
statement. It
> seems that we tried this the last time the auditors mentioned this and
we had
> problems and did not change it. I can?t remember what the issues were.
>
> Can anyone comment on what I would need to be aware of if this change
was made?
> I do XAUTOLOG our z/Linux guests at startup time so would I need to
change
> anything there?

In a fully secured VM system (i.e. with an ESM), the only command that
requires a password is LOGON.  All other actions (LINK, XAUTOLOG) are
(should be) managed by the ESM without a dependency on passwords.

Without an ESM, passwords are avoided for LINK and AUTOLOG by putting the
LINK and AUTOLOG statements in the appropriate directory entry.  If you
simply MUST make a disk vulnerable to improper access by storing its
password on some other disk (i.e. in an exec), then use ADDRESS COMMAND
"LINK..." as that will override the no-password-on-LINK directive.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices