FYI, IBM took requirement MR0513111155 on this issue. VSWITCHes should drop
duplicate IP's, like real switches do. Indeed, the way OSA's do.

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mark Wheeler
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 3:49 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Duplicate IPs on VSWITCHes - Feature or Defect

Greetings all,

We've been pulling our hair out for several days trying to figure out a
networking issue involving VSWITCHes. A server (LNXA1) attached to VSWITCHA on
VMSYSA can connect  to a server (LNXB1) attached to VSWITCHB on VMSYSB but a
server (LNXC1) attached to VSWITCHC on VMSYSC cannot. We moved LNXC1 to
VSWITCHA on VMSYSA and it worked. All on the same subnet, BTW.

Unbeknownst to us, a server (LNXC2) had an interface on VSWITCHC that used the
same IP as LNXA1. It couldn't be registered to the outside network because it
was already being used, yet it was still registered to VSWITCHC. Hence, anyone
else on VSWITCHC would try to connect to LNXC2 when it in fact was trying to
connect to LNXA1.

Q VSWITCH VSWITCHC DETAILS shows the duplicate IP, identifiable by the "Local"
designation under the list of unicast IP address(es). The VSWITCH is able to
detect the fact that this is a duplicate IP.

Is this a feature or a defect? Should VSWITCHC drop the IP address when it
identifies the duplicate situation? What would a real switch do?

Best regards,

Mark Wheeler
UnitedHealth Group

--

"Excellence. Always. If Not Excellence, What? If Not Excellence Now, When?"
Tom Peters, author of "The Little BIG Things"