I see that the list traffic is kind of light right now and though I would toss out a topic for all of us to chew on.

I am looking for your thoughts on the current direction of zVM in particular where development needs to be focused.

I sense that z/VM 6.2 with SSI will ease the burden of medium to large shops in the area of multi-system maintenance, and hopefully will be extended beyond it's current meager 4 system max size, sooner rather than later.

Given the difficulty in making any changes to production workloads I don't see SSI with Live Guest Migration (LGM) as a panacea to issue related to load balancing amongst lpars. Without more direct linux interaction I am concerned about the migration of workloads using dedicated fcp with or without NPIV as well as arp issues.

The area I would like to see development is the utilization of the hardware some of us are lucky enough to have, the z196. With a machine that can be delivered with 3TB of memory(1.5TB on a z10), having a maximum size z/VM system of 256GB is very limiting. In reviewing presentations on memory limits, I have read comments that the system has been tested to more than 400GB central storage but no indication (statement of direction...rumor) that the current limit will be increased. So I am pushing for increasing the max z/VM LPAR to at least 512MB if not larger.

Expansion of the link aggregation implementation allowing for shared OSA cards.

In general I am focused on larger vm systems, so that is where I would like to see development.

Phil Tully

Viewpoints presented here are my own and not my employer's