On Thursday, 05/19/2011 at 08:31 EDT, Charles Grady
<charles.gr...@dol.state.ga.us> wrote:
> We have z/VM in one LPAR on Z9 processor.  IOCDS is created and
maintained by
> z/OS in another LPAR. We have four 3592 stand alone tape drives that are
shared
> across LPARs.  They want to add AUTOSWITCH parm to the HCD definitions
for
> these devices.  ANY NEGATIVE effects to z/VM?  These are the only tapes
that
> z/VM has access to.

z/VM doesn't care what parameters you add to HCD since it doesn't look at
them.  CP VARY gives you full control over whether he issues an ASSIGN to
the drive at VARY ON time (default = no), or lets a product like IBM Tape
Manager for z/VM do it whenever it wants to mount a tape, releasing the
drive when the tape is unmounted.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training