On Friday, 05/27/2011 at 07:48 EDT, "E. Roller"
<ewald.rol...@rolf-benz.com> wrote:
> Yesterday  I tried to rename one of my two TCPIP Stacks.
> I have TCPIP and TCPIP02 and wanted to rename TCPIP to TCPIP01.
> After doing that with the appropiate file and parameter updates,
> I was not able to do a NETSTAT command against TCPIP01,
> I got VM-Intercommunication errors.
>
> Maybe a silly question, but before I go into deeper investigation,
> I want to know if it is necessary to have the first stack named TCPIP.

It's not necessary, no, but you are going to create more trouble for
yourself than you need.

- Since the user ID is provided by IBM, you will have to do a PPF override
so that SERVICE and PUT2PROD know what you've done.
- Create :Type.SERVER entries in SYSTEM DTCPARMS for all servers and
specify the :Stack. tag as appropriate.  (Warning: Do not change IBM
DTCPARMS and do not perform a mass copy of IBM DTCPARMS to SYSTEM
DTCPARMS.)
- Change TCPIP DATA to include the TCPIPUSERID statement to point to your
stack

You may want to leave TCPIP in the directory (NOLOG) in order to provide
indirect minidisk links to the 198, 591, and 592 just in case someone says
LINK TCPIP instead of LINK TCPMAINT.

The maxim that you don't change or delete what IBM provides, but only add
to it, is a good one.  While PPF overrides work well for service, there is
no generally accessible system registry (e.g. some form of system
environment variables) to let the rest of the system know what it is
you've done.

My recommendation:  Create all the stacks you want, but leave TCPIP & Co.
alone.  Use the suite as your "master" TCP/IP instance, even if you don't
bring them up.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training